On successful completion of this course:
1 Hour verifiable CPD will be awarded – In line with the new 2018 EGDC verifiable standards. A certificate will be issued to the learner on completion of a short assessment. You will also receive a Reflection log sheet. This allows you to reflect on your learning experience and can be used with the certificate as verifiable GDC evidence. You will need to gain 80% of the total marks. To help us to continue to improve future training and course structure, you will be requested to complete a short feedback form.
Why complete this on-line course?
Essential for all GDC registrants – Legal and ethical is a recommended GDC ECPD subject. This course will cover what you need to know to stay on the right side of the law and how to work within legal and ethical requirements. It will also cover what could happen if you do not comply.
The course covers:
- The GDC principles and standards
- Scope of practice and CPD
- Guidelines for student Dental nurses and practices employing them
- Liability & Fitness to practice
- Indemnity Insurance
- The Data Protection Act, The Freedom of Information act, The Consumer Protection Act, Caldicott Regulations 1997, confidentiality and records
- Health & safety at work Act and employment law.
Course mapping and links
After successfully completing this course, you can use your training and course certificate for demonstrating compliance and evidence within the following:
- GDC Developmental outcomes – A & D (Required for verifiable evidence with new ECPD GDC)
- GDC domains – Professionalism and Management and Leadership
- The learning outcomes for this course are linked to the all of the GDC Principles and standards.
- The CQC fundamental standards
Course Aims, Objectives and Outcomes
To provide continuous professional development on the legal & ethical issues, laws and requirements that surround dentistry and the dental practice while providing an insight into the GDC requirements, standards and publications
- Explore the meaning of working legally and ethically.
- Differentiate between ‘legal’ and ‘ethical’
- Identify the different areas of the GDC requirements and the publications available
- Give an overview of the consequences of not working within the legal framework
- Define the professional indemnity and insurance requirements
After successfully completing this course, learners will be able to:
- Carry out roles, tasks and duties in line with legal and ethical requirements
- Make choices concerning indemnity and insurance that satisfy requirements.
- Handle legal & ethical issues confidently & professionally
- Review relevant GDC publications
- Recognise the consequences of fitness to practice